The 30 members of the Board of Deacons are called to ministries of care and compassion. These ministries include visits to the homebound and hospitalized as well as a Day of Caring, in which they coordinate yard work and small home repairs for the elderly and others. If you would like to help with these or other Deacons' ministries listed below, please contact Dionna Schooley at 918-301-1029.
Ongoing Deacons’ Ministries
- Day of Care: Along with other volunteers and first responders, Deacons visit the homes of seniors, homebound residents and single parents during the spring to assist with home projects.
- Camp Sunshine: Deacons host young oncology patients from an area hospital and their families for a day of fun, swimming, canoeing and food at Camp Loughridge, an FPC retreat.
- Choir Brunch: The Deacons sponsor a breakfast for the choir members, musicians, and pastors who participate in the four Easter Sunday worship services.
- Flower Ministry: Deacons deliver flowers from the worship service to FPC members in area hospitals and care facilities on Sunday afternoon. Easter lilies and Christmas poinsettias are delivered to many homebound members.
- Bereavement: Deacons host receptions following memorial services and funerals. They also assist in conducting an All Saints Day worship and memorial service for those in mourning.
- First Friends: Throughout the year, Deacons call on homebound members through visits, phone calls and notes.
- Thanksgiving: Deacons sponsor a worship service and Thanksgiving dinner designed for those who live alone or are away from home.
- Celebrating Christmas Together: The Deacons lead members of FPC and other volunteers to work with Emerson Elementary School and social service organizations to provide area families with food and other items at Christmas.
- Hunger/Thirst: Deacons participate with the Day Center for the Homeless, the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma and the H20 Project.