Emerson Elementary School is First Church’s partner school, located just over a mile north of the church on Boston Avenue. This open classroom school educates children residing near downtown and in the Tulsa shelter. Many of these students and their families face significant socioeconomic challenges.
Volunteer opportunities abound at Emerson, even for those who have just one free evening or a lunch hour each week:
- Mentor program (Lunch Buddies)
- Bike Club
- “Celebrating Christmas Together” hosted by the FPC deacons
- Read or help a teacher in the classroom
- "Day of Care" in Emerson’s garden hosted by the FPC deacons
- Career day presentations
- Field trip chaperones
Additionally, there are many ways to donate resources to help support the school:
- donate towards Eagle prizes for reading goal attainment,
- donate to the Christmas Candy Cane store for kids to purchase items at a reduced rate
- donate for field trips
- donate books
Please note that most of these volunteer positions require an application and background checks (please see below for links to both applications). To sign up or learn more about any of these opportunities, contact Angela Gwinner at 918-301-1039.
Are you interested in learning more about Emerson mentors?
To become a mentor:
Download the Emerson Lunch Buddy Packet below (includes FPC and Tulsa Public School background check forms). Please print them out and fill in all of the required information. You may then either mail them to Angela Gwinner at 709 S. Boston Ave. Tulsa, OK 74119, or scan and email them to Angela at .